Yay, It’s Feb!!! The month to celebrate love. You know what that means. We are gonna make some exotic cakes, yummy yum desserts and some extra special dishes too. And, that means, You just need to leave a month of holiday for Calorie counting. Oh, come on!!! If not now then when???
There is nothing like loving someone with all your heart, that you can take all efforts just to see a smile on their face. True? And I always thought buying a cake and say “I love you” is just not enough, that too on the day of Love. So this time, I kick start the celebrations with an all new (that means first attempt, God save my hubby 😉 ) Oreo cake.
Love is something everyone on earth longs for, so are the Oreo cookies. Seriously, I have never met a person who hates Oreo. So, an Oreo cake on Valentines day is a perfect fit.
Now, come lets make it!!!
Double Layer Oreo cake:
For the Cake:
- Maida – 1 1/2 cups
- Cocoa Powder – 1/2 cup
- Powdered Oreo cookies (Cream thrown out and cookies ground to powder) – 1/2 cup
- Powdered Sugar – 2 cups
- Baking Soda – 1 tea spoon
- Baking powder – 1 Table spoon
- Eggs – 2, big
- Vanilla essence – 1 tea spoon
- Buttermilk – 1 cup
- Oil, preferably olive oil – 1/2 cup
- Hot water – 1/4 cup
- Cream cheese – 1 cup
- Butter – 1/2 cup
- Icing Sugar – 2 cups
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tea spoon
- Fresh cream – 1/4 cup
- Finely chopped Oreo cookies – 2 cups
Don’t look at me like that, I told you, no Calorie counting 😉
- Preheat Oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Sieve all the dry ingredients (Flour, Sugar, Cocoa, Oreo powder, Baking powder, Baking soda) together and mix well so that they blend evenly.
- Beat the eggs with a hand mixer or a whisk till foamy. Add oil, buttermilk, vanilla essence and whisk well in medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Now add the sieved dry ingredients in batches and whisk well. Use a spatula to scrape the sides then and there.
- When you feel its almost done, add the hot water and whisk.
- Pour the cake mixture into greased cake pans. 8 inches pans would be the best fit.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 mins. Test them with a toothpick inserted to come out clean. Take the cakes out and let them cool completely.
- Whisk butter, cream and cream cheese together for a 2 mins.
- Once they got blended together, add Sugar and Vanilla essence and whisk for not less than 5 minutes. The creamy icing is ready now.
- Store this in the refrigerator for it can get firm to be easily applied.
- When the cakes got cooled down, you can start icing them.
- Cut down the crown part of the cakes.
- Apply a layer of icing on top of that.
- Place the second cake (After cutting down the crown part) on top. You can place the second cake upside down, so that you will get a nice even surface on top.
- Apply icing all over the cake. On top and sideways.
- Here, a trick is that, first apply a thin layer of icing and keep the whole cake in refrigerator for 5 minutes. Then it will be easy to finish the cake with the remaining icing smoothly.
- When done, take a handful of chopped Oreo cookies and gently press them around the cake.
- Decorate the cake top with Oreo cookies. I just kept two, I felt the sides are already overloaded, so the top can stay simple.
The double layer Oreo cake is ready to rock the show. 🙂
Happy cooking !!! Take Care!!!