We do have a lot of Power foods from our own land, only that they don’t get as much as branding as these fast foods get.
Black Gram, not only has carbs and protein, it’s also rich in vitamins, minerals and devoid of cholesterol. It is store house of calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, copper, manganese etc. Urad dal also contains dietary fibers.
So Black gram, with all the above nutrients is good for women. You don’t have to worry about iron deficiency if you are consuming this once in a week. That’s why our ancestors had it as a tradition to serve Ulunthu Soru to the girl who attained Puberty. This gram has everything she needs. It’s just as I always say, our ancestors applied Science in everything. If you don’t believe in my words, refer here for how our Idly, Vada got so much of Science applied in them. Then guess about this dish in which the Black gram is used with its skin on.
Apart from that, Black gram strengthens nervous system, works on digestive system. It has EFA (Essential Fatty Acids), so it’s a brain food.
What? It looks more like a health blog than a recipe blog? Okay, we stop here. 🙂
Now, the recipe for you,
Black Gram Rice:
Prep Time : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 20 mins
Serves : 4
- Parboiled rice – 1 cup
- Raw rice – 1 Table spoon
- Urad Dal (Black Gram) – 1/4 cup, split, with skin on
- Jeera (Cumin seeds) – 1 tea spoon
- Venthayam (Fenugreek seeds) – 1/2 tea spoon
- Garlic gloves, peeled – 10 to 12 in number
- Grated coconut – 1/4 cup (Optional)
- Salt – as required.
- Wash all the rice and gram together.
- Put them in a pressure cooker.
- Add Cumin, Fenugreek seeds and the garlic gloves.
- Add 4 and a half cups of water to this. (That is approximately 3 and a half times)
- Add salt and close the cooker.
- Cook for 6 to 8 whistles. Open the lid after settles.
- Optionally you can mix a 1/4 cup of grated coconut at this stage.
- Serve with any spicy curry. you can also serve it as a porridge (Kanji) by adding some more water.
Have you been wondering what that yummy curry served here is? That is our world famous Dry fish curry, yet another power food of our land. ‘Ulunthu soru, Dry fish curry and a boiled egg’ is ‘Heaven’. 😉
Other curries that go well with Ulunthu soru are Country Chicken Curry, spicy mutton or chicken curries, Avial, Sambar, Ellu thuvaiyal or any spicy thuvaiyal.
Our traditional foods have every kind of nutrition we need. Join me in my journey to explore them and their benefits.
Happy Cooking!!! Take care!!!