Only we mothers know how tough it is to make sure our kids eat something good and get some nutrition for the day. While the world offers him everything unhealthy in colorful packages we have to be constantly competing with the world to make him eat something healthy.
That too vegetables, there is a big list which we can never make them eat and Broccoli is on top of it. While broccoli is also a topper among all the most nutritious veggies, I was trying different ways to make him come to it. I’ve tried baking, frying, souping, I have even tried to hide it in his favourite pasta. Nothing works out, and the funny part is, from a mouthful of pasta he could successfully pull the broccoli out and say, “Amma, I don’t like this. yucky”
No, no. I’m not giving up yet. Think think think.. there ought to be something really good about this yucky veg.
Yesss.. There came the spark. Broccoli is extra ordinarily crunchy, only if it is not overcooked. So I thought, I would match it up with some other crunchy goods to make an extra crunchy dish and top it up with some cheese. And the outcome is not only crunchy, cheesy and yummy, but also so so so much colorful. A real finger licking good I would say.
Just have a look at it,
Needless to say, my son just loved it. And most importantly, he never pulls that broccoli out anymore.. 😀
Here I present you the simple yet foolproof way to make him eat some broccoli,
Prep Time : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 10 mins
Serves : 4 member family
- Broccoli – 200gms, cleaned and cut into small pieces
- Onion – 1 (medium, cut into small pieces)
- Tomato – 1 (medium, preferably tomato)
- Greenchilli – 1, slit
- Capsicum (Bell pepper),Yellow and red, cut into small cubes – 1 cup
- White pepper powder – 1/4 tea spoon
- Cheese, grated – 1/2 to 1 cup as per your wish.
- Salt to taste
- Oil to toss (Preferably Olive oil)
- Take a shallow fry pan, add required oil.
- Add onion, chillies and Bell peppers one after other not letting them turning brown.
- Add the brocolli, salt and saute for a minute.
- Add tomatoes and saute for a minute.
- Add white pepper powder and saute for a minute.
- Add grated cheese and cover the lid for a minute.
The yummy and colorful broccoli is ready to pull your kid to the dining table.
- None of the ingredients should get fried or changes its color when you stir. As you see in the photographs, every ingredient remain in its own color and flavor to ensure crunchiness. If you see the onions glossy glossy that’s when you add the next ingredient.
- Do not cover the lid anywhere in the middle of cooking. you wont get a crunchy good. Only after adding cheese, you close the lid, that too for a minute.
- If the adults are calorie counters, take their portions out before adding cheese.
- You can add seasonings like Oregano and other herbs as you wish. I just liked it plain.
Happy cooking!!! Take care!!!